Check out these can’t-miss maui couples portraits we’ve photographed recently! We’re rounding up five of our most recent engagement and couples sessions below. We’re also sharing some tips you can use to make the most of your engagement session, proposal or honeymoon portraits on Maui!
5 Can’t-miss Maui couples portraits
1. A little bit of love from the land, sea + sky
This couples portrait session took place on the beach and from the sky using drone photography! Jenny and Richard’s sunrise portrait session took place on the most epic beach morning. There pastel skies dripping in color looked just as beautiful photographed from the beach as they did from the air! See what we mean?
One of the reasons we love sunrise portraits is that the skies are consistently a soft color. Some mornings, like this one, have an extra pop of color that doesn’t go unnoticed.
2. Beautiful Wailea beach couples session at sunset
We couldn’t have asked for a more beautiful beach afternoon than this. Check out the sunset we had for Kessler and Kevin’s sunset session on the beach in Wailea! The waves, the color of the sky and sand. Everything came together to perfectly highlight this couple’s awesome connection!
We love the floral print on Kessler’s dress, and Kevin wore a plain white shirt that complemented her outfit perfectly. You’ll notice it was a bit of a breezy afternoon – thanks Maui trade winds! The movement that wind creates in images makes for a motion and action in those posed shots, and adds a fun, organic element to the finished images.
3. A splash of fun for this couple’s land + sea session!
Elissa and Rudy joined us at sunrise for their shoot, and this is truly one of our favorite can’t-miss Maui couples portraits! Elissa rented a Kasia Kulenty gown from our client closet. She chose the Selena gown in Cielo, which is a light blue color that perfectly suits sunrise sessions. Having an outfit change during your engagement session is an awesome way to mix up imagery. We suggest limiting your wardrobe to two changes. Maui doesn’t have the best public change facilities. As a result, be prepared for a quick duck behind a towel or use a public restroom if available.
Looking for some can’t-miss Maui couples portraits outfit ideas?
You might choose to incorporate two outfits in one! An option for a second outfit, for example, is to wear a bikini underneath your initial outfit. This works best if your bikini doesn’t tie on the side or show through your first outfit in any way.
As you can see here, we don’t mind if the rental gowns get a bit sandy and salty. It’s all part of the fun!
4. Sweet sunrise twirls and a pastel sky for this can’t-miss Maui couples portrait session!
How beautiful is the early morning light in this session? We love all the dips, twirls and movement and the gown choice Amanda made was awesome. It perfectly complemented those sunrise skies! A couple’s connection truly is highlighted with these beautiful mornings and makes for the perfect connection and curated collection of images.
5. This couples session on Maui has gorgeous sunset light!
It was so much fun working with Madeline and Conner for their sunset couples session in Wailea! The colors of their afternoon shoot were vibrant and beautiful but also soft and welcoming. One of the reasons we made this part of our can’t-miss Maui couples portraits? The connection shared by this loving couple!
You might be wondering how to make the most of your sunrise or sunset Wailea portrait session. Here are a few tips to ensure your investment is not only enjoyable, but results in a series of images you’ll treasure forever!
How to make the most of your beach couples portrait session
- Book hair and makeup services as soon as your session is confirmed. Lots of makeup artists on Maui are super busy, so we recommend reaching out to one you connect with as soon as you book your portrait session. In your client guide you’ll find a list of recommendations to get you started!
- Read your client guide and always ask questions. We can’t stress enough that we’re an open book – if you run in to any questions before your session begins, shoot us an e-mail. We’re super responsive and will answer within 24 business hours.
- Don’t worry about the weather. Weather is usually fine in the Wailea area, but during the winter, especially, it can become unsettled at times. The thing is, with Maui’s microclimates it’s hard to predict if weather will stick around. Clouds can dissipate just prior to a shoot and give way to the most amazing sunset. For this reason, we wait until about an hour ahead of your session to make the call for rain. If there’s just a bit of lingering cloud, we’ll shoot. If it’s raining, we might just need to drive a mile down the road and enjoy weather that is perfect for shooting! The maternity session here, for instance, is one of those times we had to relocate, and so glad we did!
- Relax and enjoy. The most important thing to remember when getting ready for your couples photography session? Relax. We’ve got you. We’ll provide simple posing and direction to help you feel as good as you look and move effortlessly through your shoot. You’re in good hands, so focus on connecting with your partner and we’ll do the rest!
Don’t forget these items when planning your own can’t-miss Maui couples portraits!
- A towel (actually, two!) Bring a towel for each of you. During your session, even if you don’t get wet, you’ll want to dry off a bit and shake off some sand. Towels also make it easy to change during your session (see mention of less-than-average changing facilities above ;)) If you’re looking for the perfect sand-resistant beach towel, you’re in luck! We sell super-soft towels printed with our Maui ocean art at our Land + Sea Store. Bonus: each towel is made from 20 recycled plastic bottles! Double bonus: Use the code HIGHTIDE for 10% off your purchase!
- A change of clothes for each person. After a sunset session, you might be grabbing dinner. After a sunrise session, it’s time for coffee and breakfast! Whatever your plans are, we recommend taking a change of clothes for each person so you’re not stuck in an outfit that’s either covered in sand or a bit fancier than you want to be wearing around post-shoot.
- Sunscreen. Ok, so this isn’t entirely true. We don’t recommend you wear sunscreen to your photoshoot as it can make your skin appear a bit waxy. Instead, apply reef-friendly suncreen in the days leading up to your shoot to ensure you have a healthy glow, not a raging sunburn. Your skin will thank you 😉 Shop one of our favorite brands here!
Looking to create some magical portraits on Maui? We’ve got you! We specialize in the following shoots for couples:
Engagement Sessions – Engaged elsewhere and celebrating with portraits on Maui? We’ve got you! Engagement sessions are super fun, relaxed and a great way to collect memories from your vacation before you enter one of life’s most exciting new chapters: husband and wife.
Proposals – We love photographing proposals on Maui, and recommend a sunrise session if you’re taking a knee as you’ll have the beach to yourself to enjoy the magic moment. We understand sunset is a more favorable time of day for many couples, so if you plan on proposing during your Maui vacation contact us to start the conversation about how to make it memorable!
Honeymoons – Married on the mainland (or on Maui) and enjoying a honeymoon in Wailea? What better way to add to your collection of wedding imagery than with honeymoon photography!
Anniversary and just-because portraits – Many of the couples portraits we photograph on Maui are for couples celebrating, or just because! A 10-year anniversary, for instance, is the perfect excuse for a couples portrait shoot. You might be traveling together for a simple little getaway, and we’d love to be a part of that, too!
Don’t just take our word for it, take our work for it!
Visit the blog to view shoots and sort by sunrise and sunset. Choose your perfect time of day, and let us and your connection do the rest!
View our portfolio of recent sessions – we update it frequently, so be sure to have a browse!
How to book your own can’t-miss couples portraits on Maui with Love + Water
It’s easy – just contact us here to get started! We’ll be in touch with an instant e-mail confirmation that contains lots of useful information. Within 24 business hours you can expect a quote with the next steps. We hope to work with you soon to create magic from the land + sea!