In our opinion, there’s no better place to take beautiful photos than on a Maui beach! After all, beach photography in Maui is our specialty here at Love + Water Photography, and we wouldn’t have it any other way.
One of the best things about beach photography in Maui is that it’s the perfect place for all types of shoots. From landscape photography to family portraits to maternity sessions to engagement shoots to artistic portraits and beyond, the beach is simply the place to do it!
Whether you’re looking for beach photos ideas and inspiration, thinking of hiring a photographer in Maui, or searching for tips to make the most of your own beach photoshoot, we’ve got you covered in this article! Let’s dive in (pun intended).
Beach Photography in Maui: Our Favorite Beaches
First, you have to know where to go! As you can probably imagine, there is no shortage of picturesque beaches in Maui. Which spot you choose for your beach photoshoot depends on where you’re staying, how far you’re willing to travel, the type of experience you’re after (are you looking for waves to surf on, calm waters to play in, something quiet and tranquil, a fun beachside bar, etc.) and the type of beach scenery you prefer.
Here are some of the best beaches in Maui to add to your list (not all of these locations are available for commercial photography, but are definitely worth visiting on your own!)
Beaches in South Maui:
Beaches in West Maui:
Beaches in North Maui:
Beaches in East Maui:
Booking a Beach Photography Session on Maui
Interested in hiring a photographer on Maui for professional beach photos?
Here are the different types of beach sessions that we offer in Wailea, and some examples to get you excited about the possibilities!
Family Sessions at the Beach
If you’re traveling to Maui with your family, why not book a beach session to capture the amazing memories you’re making together? Our family beach photos are perfect for creating unique family albums, Christmas cards and gifts for family and friends, or personal art to decorate your home.
Don’t forget to check out our blog about what to wear for your family beach portrait session before you arrive!
Babymoon Photography at the Beach
We can’t get enough of beach babymoon sessions on Maui! Beach maternity photos are such a gorgeous way to capture this special phase of life, and they’re some of our absolute favorites.
Maui is also one of the best places to go on your babymoon thanks to its short traveling distance from most states, beautiful weather, relaxing atmosphere, and incredible culture. Check out our list of the best things to do on your babymoon on Maui!
Couples Photos at the Beach
Whether you’re celebrating an engagement, an anniversary, or just the love you have for each other, our Maui couples beach sessions are here to capture the magic!
And don’t forget to have a professional photographer there to capture your beach proposal on Maui! You won’t regret having photos to help you look back and remember this incredibly special moment for a lifetime. Check out our ultimate guide to beach proposals on Maui while you’re planning out how to pop the big question!
Beach Boudoir Sessions: Sirens of the Sea
There’s nothing quite as beautiful as someone embracing their feminine energy and sensuality in the middle of nature. Our Sirens of the Sea Sessions are here to capture your true beauty with artistic, intimate beach and water portraits. If you’ve been thinking about booking a beach boudoir session on Maui, this is your sign to take the plunge (literally)!
Learn more about Love + Water’s beach photography packages and pricing here and contact us if you’re interested in learning more. We’d love to capture these beautiful, special moments for you!
How to Get the Best Results from Your Beach Photography on Maui
Bringing a camera with you, and wondering how to make the most of your own Maui beach photos? Here are some helpful tips to get you started!
Tips for Great Maui Beach Photos
What time of day should I take photos at the beach?
Our favorite times of day to take pictures at the beach in Maui are at sunrise and sunset. You never know exactly what you’re going to get with a Maui sunrise or sunset, but you can pretty much always bet that it’s going to be stunning! The colors you’ll see in a sunrise and sunset can vary, but you’re likely to see a sky filled with dreamy pastels from all spectrums of the rainbow.
The other bonus of taking photos at the beach at sunset and sunrise is that you don’t have to deal with that harsh, overhead, midday sunlight. The harsh light tends to cast long shadows and makes it much harder to snap a balanced photo.
How should I pose for beach photos?
Whether you’re the one being photographed or you’re instructing subjects, knowing how to pose is key!
First, always consider your source of light and how it is positioned against your subject. Are you going for a glowy, backlit look? Do you want your subject to appear more like a silhouette against a colorful sky? Do you want your subject to be well-lit? Going for soft, side lighting is often a safe bet if you want everything to be properly exposed.
Try a variety of different poses and shots and then choose your favorites afterwards! We always like to include a few posed shots and plenty of candid shots, as well.
Tips for posed shots on the beach:
- Don’t slouch! Pull your shoulders back and down, so you look relaxed but not hunched.
- Not sure what to do with your hands? Hold hands with your partner, play with your hair or beach cover up, put them on your waist, reach them into the sky, leave them relaxed at your side. Casually put one in a pocket. Just play around with your hands until you find something that feels natural.
- Don’t be afraid to get a little wet! Jumping and playing in the water makes for great photos. You’re at the beach, after all!
- Don’t forget to mix in some sitting poses, too!
- Wear something that makes you feel confident! Here are some tips for choosing a beach portrait outfit.
Prompts for candid beach photos:
- Hold hands and walk or run along the beach together.
- Put an arm around each other’s back (one low, one high) and then look at each other and try to walk as fast as you can with your bodies glued together. It makes for lots of laughs and natural expressions as you try to navigate while glued!
- Splash and play in the water.
- Look out, take a deep breath, and admire the beautiful ocean.
- Plan a fun activity together that can be captured, like surfing, throwing a frisbee, or building sand castles.
- Think about something really funny. Capture the laughter!
- Give each other piggy backs.
- Look at each other and say why you love each other. Capture the face of the listener.
More tips for taking great beach photos:
- If you’re using a DSLR, shoot in RAW format! This format saves more data and is the best to use if you’re going to edit your photos afterwards.
- Be careful not to overexpose your images! Because beaches are often bright, wide-open spaces, it can be easy to take in too much light and end up with photos that are overexposed and lack detail. If anything, err on the side of underexposing since it’s easier to brighten photos when editing (especially if you’re shooting in RAW). If you’re feeling unsure, expose for the brightest part of the picture (often the sky) and fix the darker parts in post-processing.
- You may want to consider using a flash to fill in the shadows on your subject, especially during sunny times of the day.
- Protect your camera! Sand, water, and heat aren’t a camera’s best friend, so make sure you bring a case and keep it in the shade and away from the water when you can. It’s a good idea to bring a blower and cloth to blow any sand off your lens before you wipe it clean of sand or salty water. If you’re taking landscape beach shots, bring a tripod! This will help keep your camera still so you can adjust the shutter speed and capture all the little details. It’s also great if you’re interested in capturing blurred motion in the water or sky.
- Consider clutter! Having other people or things in the background of your image will impact the overall effect. If you’re going for a simpler shot or taking portraits, try to find a spot that avoids the crowds or wake early.
Tips for Taking the Best Beach Photos on Your Phone
No fancy camera? No problem! Most cell phones these days have pretty good cameras that suffice in a pinch, and are great for those moments where you just want to capture the memory or snap a pic to share on social media.
Here are some tips to get the best cell phone shots of beaches in Maui.
- Experiment with the exposure. Touch the part of the image that you want the photo to be exposed for, and then adjust as needed. Lots of cell phones will allow you to adjust the exposure in the settings before you even take a pic, so find that out before you head out!
- Make sure your subject is in focus by touching them on the screen. It’s hard, if it’s bright out, to get the subject in focus and lit without blowing out the background, so try moving them around a bit until you can get a nice mix of both.
- If you’re going for a more silhouetted look, tap just behind your subject on the background of the image.
- Use the rule of thirds to compose your image.
- Choose a focal point. Instead of just taking a hundred similar pictures of the beach, find something to make it interesting by adding a subject or some kind of foreground interest, like a person, a flower or some other kind of foliage, etc.
- Use burst mode to make sure you get the perfect shot and don’t miss the moment, especially when taking photos of moving objects.
- If you have it, try using Portrait Mode to add depth of field to images with a close subject.
- If you have it, try taking a Live Photo of the water and then select “Long Exposure” for a blurred, moving water look.
- Apply some light editing or mobile presets to your images after for a stylized look. The Lightroom Mobile app is a great place to start!
More Helpful Information and Inspiration for Your Maui Beach Photoshoot
Check out the Love + Water blog for more info for your trip to Maui or your beach photoshoot, view our portfolio for plenty of beach photo inspiration, and contact us if you have questions or are interested in working together!